Background

Friday 20 January 2012

Lemon Meringue Pie!

Okay so today is a poorly day, I feel abit run down, working nights get's the best of me. I decided to cheer myself up with a sweet treat, homemade lemon meringue pie. Nummy, and this recipe is divine it's made the good old fashioned way. Except I cheated to whisk my meringues.

For the Pastry:
8 oz Plain Flour
4oz Unsalted Butter/Lard
Pinch of Salt
2oz Icing Sugar
4-6 Tablespoons of water, or until good non sticky consistency

1) Flour, salt and Icing sugar in bowl add the butter and make into fine breadcrumbs.
2) Add water gradually till non sticky pasty consistency.
3) Leave in fridge for 30 mins
4) Bake for 10 mins before putting your filling in

Filling
2 Lemon Rinds
2 Juice of Lemon
1 1/4 cup of water
175g Caster Sugar
2oz butter
3 Egg Yolks
50g Cornflour

1) Bring to the boil the lemon rinds, water, sugar and cornflour till thickened.
2) Once thickened take of heat and gradually stir in Lemon, Egg Yolks and Butter
3) Bring back to a very low heat, gas mark 1 or 2, and it's ready to fill your pastry

Meringue
3 Egg Whites Whisk Eggs till stiff peaks
75g Sugar add half after whisking eggs and gently beat in remaining
Bake the pie at 190 or gas mark 5 or 6 for 20 minutes or until golden brown on top!

My Pictures aren't great but I'm telling you this is a super tasty pie!



No comments:

Post a Comment